Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Im thinking of buying a maisonette. Ive seen a place that

Customer Question

I'm thinking of buying a maisonette. I've seen a place that has a lot of land but the property itself is small on the first floor. The freehold is shared with the upstairs neighbour. It has a massive drive way and garden for the ground floor and the upstairs neighbour just needs access to his garden through the ground floor garden to the back. My question is about extending the property if we were to buy it. Can I just extend it or do I need his permission? Ideally if I was to buy it I would like to drastically extend it - at the same time consider a slight extenstion to one of the rooms. There is a lot of land so its a nice thought in future to extend it a lot by putting a couple of extra rooms on it. What do we need to know to do this? Will there be problems with the upstairs neighbour? They wouldn't own the land but just need access through to their garden. This is a nice looking Victorian property but extending it would not visually change it at the front but just at the back. Let me know - thanks
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
First of all, you will need to get the consent of the upstairs Freeholder before any extension is carried out.
Although you will also own a share in the Freehold, the rights and restrictions governing what you can and can not do are all contained in the Lease for each maisonette, and this will say that no extensions be carried out without the Freeholders consent.
You are therefore at the mercy of the other Freeholder as to whether he would be in agreement to your plans.
I would suggest that you speak to him before you commit to your purchase.
I hope this assists you and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL

Hi Richard,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards

AL

Hi Richard,
Can I assist you any further?
Kind Regards
AL