UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I HAVE JUST HAD A FENCE INSTALLED AROUND MY HOUSE AND HAVE

I HAVE JUST HAD A FENCE INSTALLED AROUND MY HOUSE AND HAVE SEVERAL ISSUES REGARDING THIS. FIRSTLY THE CONTRACTOR TOLD ME CONCRETE WOULD BE PUT UNDER THE GRAVEL BOARDS TO PREVENT WEEDS ETC LATER BUT NONE AS BEEN PUT DOWN, SECONDLY I WANTED A 6 FOOT FENCE ALL THE WAY ROUND, IN PLACES THIS IS ALMOST A FOOT LESS. HE STATES IT IS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THE LAND LIES. THIS WAS NOT EXPLAINED BEFORE AND AS I AM NOT A TRADES PERSON WAS EXPECTING THE FENCE TO BE THE SAME HEIGHT THE WHOLE WAY ROUND TO GIVE CONTINUED PRIVACY. HE AS ALSO REDUCED THE LENGTH OF MY GARDEN BY ABOUT 2 FEET BECAUSE HE DID NOT REMOVE PART OF A TREE WHEN TAKING OUT THE PRIVET WHICH IS STILL ALL OVER MY GARDEN. THE CONCRETE POST INSTALLED BETWEEN MINE AND MY NEIGHBOURS IS AN INDERMEDIATE POST AND IS NOT FLUSH WITH HER OUTER BUILDING BUT JUST LOOKS AS THOUGH IT HAS BEEN PLACE IN ON MY SIDE OF THE BOUNDARY ALL THIS BELONGS TO MY NEIGHBOUR. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THESE PROBLEMS AS WE ONLY HAVE A VERBAL AGREEMENT AND NO MONEY AS YET BEEN EXCHANGED.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

I would advise you that you list down all the issues in writing as you have done above and give them to the contractor saying they must be remedied before you will pay him and that you have taken legal advice on this issue.

The contractor should be given a reasonable time to remedy the defects failing which you may inform the contractor that you will have to hire somebody else to remedy the defects and deduct the same from any monies owing to the contractor.

May I help further?