75100385

Our neighbour is renewing his home insurance and has asked

Our neighbour is renewing his home insurance and has asked us to either remove our 4 metre high cob not tree, or sign a letter to accept liability for any damage caused to his property from it. The tree is about 3metres from his house.
We are happy to trim it down, but do not wish to remove it, and certainly not accept liability.
Where do we stand please?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : If damage was caused to the neighbours property because of the item, then it makes no difference whether you signed the paper or not - you would still be liable in law.
Alex Watts : To be clear even if you signed the paper and there was damage caused by the cob you would be liable.
Alex Watts : But you do not have to sign the document and you do not have to remove it.
Alex Watts : But none of the above stops the neighbour bringing a claim if there was damage.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please ?