Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

Hi, My siblings spent a fortune on our family home renovation

Hi, My siblings spent a fortune on our family home renovation (with an extension added at the back) about four years ago without any 'planning permission'. What are the implications? Please advise.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If this was an extension then it probably qualifies as “operational development” for the purpose of the town and country planning act legislation, because they are building works.
Please note that lots of extensions fall within the “permitted development” rules, which mean that a planning permission application is not necessary. You can check to see if you think it falls within the permitted development rules here:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/
If it is the case that the works would have required planning permission , the time limit is that the local authority may only take enforcement action with a 4 year period, starting from the date at which the works were substantially completed.
Therefore once 4 years have passed since the works were completed then the local authority would not be able to take enforcement action for carrying the works out without planning permission. Provided you can prove this then you would not face planning permission enforcement action.
Please note that planning is completely separate to building regulations. The local authority is never time-limited from taking certain enforcement action if works breach the building regulations.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom