Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have a Company let FIXED TERM (12 MONTHS), it ends soon -

Customer Question

I have a Company let FIXED TERM (12 MONTHS), it ends soon - it was a 12 month Company Let , 6 weeks deposit is held - an inventory was done at time of check in
The Company wants to renew for 6 months
The contract has no terms to allow an extension - do I have to grant a new 6 month Company Let tenancy ? do I then have to take another 1 months rent and new 6 week deposit - return the original deposit and do another inventory ?
Or is there a form document that I can use just to grant a 6 month extension to the original Company Let agreement - Can it go periodic, if so should I get the Company to sign an agreement in addition to the current Company Let agreement
Or do I have to do something else
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Unless a new 6 month Tenancy Agreement is drawn up and signed by both parties, the existing Agreement continues on a periodic basis, until either party serves Notice on the other requesting that it be terminated (Tenant would need to give 1 month's Notice ending on the day before the monthly rent is due, and the Landlord would have to give 2 months Notice).

Therefore, if neither party want it to continue on a periodic Tenancy, a new Agreement needs to be signed.

As regards the Deposit, this doesn't need to be returned and requested again. You can retain the existing Deposit, and just specify in the new 6 month Tenancy Agreement that a Deposit of 6 weeks rent has been paid by the Tenant.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position to you.

Kind Regards
AL

Hi Richard,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards
AL