Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We have recently moved into a detached house. About 8 metres

We have recently moved into a detached house. About 8 metres away from our house, just next to our fence border (owned by the local highway authority) is a clump of 5 mature ash trees. These trees are approximately 20-25 metres high and could, in high winds, potentially bend and break, coming down onto our property, if not our house itself. Is it possible that we can insist that the highways authority reduce the height of these trees to reduce the risk of damage to our property, please?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I am afraid that the HA will only undertake works to trees where there is shown to be a significant risk to persons, property or to the long term health of the tree.
Therefore, unless you can get a report commissioned proving one of the above factors, HA won't consider your request.
I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
AL