Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am renting a house for 18 months, with a contract for 36

I am renting a house for 18 months, with a contract for 36 months. My landlord excercised a breaking clause and asked us to leave as she wants to sell the property.
Due to a family problem, as well as having to provide a security deposit on another house, move our stuff and pay all our bills, I am unable to pay the last month's rent, which, as we move out earlier, it is 50% less than the normal rent.
I have asked the agent to use the deposit, as I did with my previous landlord, and they denied, saying this is not "normal procedure".
The house is kept at optimal condition, has been recently painted and no damages have been made.
If I refuse to pay the last month's rent will this affect my credit score and will it have any legal charges like, taking me to court? Please note that the deposit is on the Deposit Scheme and it is way more than what I owe.
Thank you, ***** ***** your reply.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Obviously you cannot lawfully fail to pay. You are locked into a contract and refusing to pay would be a breach.
However, the practical reality is that all the landlord would do is deduct the sum from your deposit. There just isn't any point in doing anything else. He could sue but he only has a claim for the sum of his loss and that is covered by the deposit.
Your credit score would only be affected if you fail to pay within 28 days a CCJ.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi and many thanks for the reply.

The rent is normally being paid on the 23rd and we have been notified to vacate on the 11th - we will actually vacate next Monday.

This isn't a full month's rent, and since the deposit will be released within the next week, do you foresee any legal issues, based on your experience?

With Best Regards,

David

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
No, nothing will happen in practice.
They will phone and threaten fire and brimstone and just take the sums owed from the deposit. There is just plain no point in suing.