75100385

Hollo my landlord has not put my deposit in a deposit skeme what

Customer Question

Hollo
my landlord has not put my deposit in a deposit skeme
what can i do?
Also i paid a month upfront and i paid key money
is key money legal
thanks
sarah

Alex Watts :

Hello Sarah my name is Alex and I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

How do you know it has not been protected, does the Landlord admit this?

JACUSTOMER-bakf49k8- : Yes when i asked she said she kno nothing about it
Alex Watts :

You need to write to your Landlord and ask that she protect it within 14 days otherwise say you will go to Court.

Alex Watts :

If she refuses then you can issue proceedings.

Alex Watts :

You are entitled to compensation of x3 the deposit.

Alex Watts :

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/