75100385

I have allowed a neighbour to park their car on my private

I have allowed a neighbour to park their car on my private land. I have not had complaints from other neighbours that it is blocking their access to pass and another neighbour complaining they are driving over his land as the vehicle is too big to pass in the space. What are my legal rights to get the person to stop parking on my land?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help with this.
Alex Watts : How long have they been parking there?
Alex Watts : have you asked them to stop please?
Customer:

I had them stop parking for 2 weeks recently as I had workmen at my property and they complied. I have allowed this to go on for 6 years and now other neighbours have written me letters of complaint as it is my land they are on.

Alex Watts : Ok. Do you have any written agreement allowing this person to park?
Customer:

No, it was a verbal agreement.

Alex Watts : Then you need to write and terminate the agreement and give notice, I would suggest a few weeks to a month.
Alex Watts : If the person continues to park then you can block the area off if you wish.
Alex Watts : If that is not practical then you can see a court order stopping him park,
Alex Watts : For this you would need to complete county court forms n1
Alex Watts : http://justclaim.co.uk/court-forms/N1-claim-form.html
Alex Watts : And n16a
Alex Watts : You would seek an order stopping the person from parking.
Alex Watts : But given the length of time they have not acquired any right to park.
Alex Watts : So you can just end the agreement and in reality there is nothing they can do.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Out of interest what is the length of time for them to acquire a right as I need to check my dates?

Alex Watts : There is no right to acquire as such but a prescriptive right to do something is 20 years.
Alex Watts : But you seem well inside that.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Customer:

Yes that does, I was worried it was around 7 years. Thank you. ***** give them a reason to stop parking, like the other neighbours complaining or just advise them to stop?

Alex Watts : You won't need to give a reason but you can,
Alex Watts : If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you or you need more help please click reply.
Customer:

Thank you that has helped greatly.