wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I live in a very rural area of Suffolk. We have a minor derestricted

I live in a very rural area of Suffolk. We have a minor derestricted road running past several properties whose verges alongside the road are privately owned and maintained by the property owners. Do these folk have the right to place obstacles on their verges to protect the area from vehicles and tractors over riding the verges?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.
wingrovebuyer :

Hello. You need to check if the verge is designated as public highway (it can be, even if privately owned). You can do this by contacting the local county council. If it is, you can't place anything on it. If it isn't, the owners can do as they please to prevent over running. Best, wb