Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

Hi I am in the process of purchasing a property with a

I am in the process of purchasing a property with a large garden. There will be a mortgage on the property. If I was to build a another separate house in the garden. Would the mortgage company have any objections ??
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You will be required to seek the consent of your lender before carrying out any works. It would be a breach of your mortgage conditions if you did not because you are under an obligation not to carry out alterations to the property/land without their consent.
It will be entirely for the lender to decide whether or not to grant you consent to carry out the development and certainly – if they give consent at all - they will require full approval of plans and for the necessary building regs/planning permission to be obtained.
You won’t know until you consult with the lender, basically. If your decision to purchase the property as a whole is dependent on this then you should seek their outline agreement in principle to the development before you exchange contracts in the purchase.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom