Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

My Son owns the property I live in; although I paid nearly

My Son owns the property I live in; although I paid nearly 50% of purchase price;and he is experiencing marital difficulties, and is liable to seperate/divorce.
The property was purchased in 2003, which was before he met his wife - they were married in 2004.
1. will his wife have any claim on the property?
2. if he were to pay off the mortgage he has on the property and gift it to me - transfer it into my name - what period of time would have to pass before his wife could have any claim at all?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage - and why was the property put in your son's name?
Did you protect your investment in any way?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the house is worth in the region of £175,000.00, and the outstanding mortgage is approximately £80,000.00

Due to a failed business I was not in a position to get a mortgage and my Son helped me out

I have a lease agreement with my Son, drawn up by a Solicitor

is there a current risk of divorce?
Does the lease have an end date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes ther is a pending risk of divorce

no the lease does not have an end date

Brian

The first thing to say is that there is no action that can now be taken to change the ownership of the property that the court could not reverse
Having said that whilst the fact that your son does own this property will be taken into account within the Divorce proceedings the fact that you live there and it cannot be sold - and that if it was you have a beneficial interest in it since you paid for half of it means that she cannot force a sale and will not be awarded a share of it.
However what is likely to happen is that she will be given a slightly larger share of the other assets instead
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
C;are
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for quick reply

I may have misled you in my last answer - no seperation or divorce proceedings have yet taken place, but my Son is sure that the situation will arise in the future, and could well be fairly imminent.

Brian

My apologies for the delay.
That does not change the position at all