75100385

Im a new landlord buying a freehold property. Which at present

I'm a new landlord buying a freehold property. Which at present is leased to a business. The contract with the previous landlord is expired but a new contract has been drawn up with the previous landlord. Is this contract legally binding? Also I'm told I have no rights over the property because the tenant as a security of tenure. Is this correct and does that mean I cannot use the property myself.
Glen . . . .
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Do you know what type of contract the tenant has? Are they still in the fixed term please ?
I see you rated BAD SERVICE but I asked question above.
I need the information before I give a reply. I need to know:
Do you know what type of contract the tenant has? Are they still in the fixed term please ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi ya Alex, sorry for the misunderstanding. The lease was from Sept 2008 to 2013. So they are not in the fixed term. Does this mean the security of tenure does not apply.

Glen

Was the old newer contract signed, or just drawn up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was just drawn up

Ok the unsigned contract is not binding. If it was not signed they are a tenant at will.
The tenant has no signed fixed contract, he is a tenant at will and therefore has no protection.
If the contract has been signed you would have been stuck, but as it stands you can terminate the tenancy as there is an unsigned contract.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So does that mean the security of tenure is not binding.

Glen

Yes that is correct.
No signed contract.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if the contract is signed. How can I cancel this agreement if I own the property.

What is involved in doing this and how do I go about doing it.

Many thanks,

Glen

You can't cancel the agreement if it has been signed, you can only terminate in accordance with any termination clause.
So if it has not been signed that is best,
Does that help?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/