How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question

Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 69780
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I am renting a property I went to the estate agent and I signed

Resolved Question:

I am renting a property
I went to the estate agent and I signed a couple of documents as to the property I want.
They made me sign a paper with the debit card details to withdraw 300 for the application.
I am thinking of changing my mind on the property.
I didn't provide any references yet.
Can I just change my mind on the property without serving any penalty?. If I withdraw the money from the account so they cannot withdraw the 300 pounds would that be a default on payment? what can I do to go out of the agreement? just call them and tell them I dont want the property?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
When are you due to move in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

someday next week, not decided as I didn't finish my refrence.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
That is bad news I'm afraid.
If you have signed a contract to move in next week then you are locked in. If you do cancel, and this is an AST, then you are liable for the remaining months due under the contract although the landlord is under a duty to mitigate his loss by seeking another tenant and he will not get forever to do that. Probably he would be able to replace you within a month and then you would only be liable for one month's rent. In truth, they would probably just be entitled to keep your deposit.
Of course, if you do cancel then they may refund the deposit. Agents do sometimes. If they dig their heels in though then they are free to do that I'm afraid.
I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the 300 was the application form, the deposit is 1,500 which i have not signed the document to permit its withdrawal yet,, also they told me there will be a washing machine in place and there isn't yet. there was no definate date of moving in. but i signed quite a few documents, can there be a valid contract even if there was no refrencing done yet?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the contract is reached when you agree even verbally. It might well be conditional from their side upon good references but that doesn't give you an escape route.
The absence of a washing machine a ground to demand a washing machine not to refuse to move in I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for asking as i am confused, does the below mean i signed a contract or just an application?

Application for a new tenancy

We recently received your application regarding a new tenancy agreement for:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Road

Completing your reference

The next step is your reference, which will be carried out by HomeLet.

So this can be done, please can you do the following:

  1. Complete the reference form online. .

  2. Print and sign the relevant consent form below.

Consent forms

The consent form confirms you’re OK for your referees to provide HomeLet with information for your reference. Your referees may ask to see your consent, so if we don’t have the form, it may delay the reference.

If you’ve already signed a consent form you don’t need to do this again. Below are links to HomeLet’s consent forms:

If you haven’t already signed a consent form you can simply scan it, attach it to your application and submit all the information online. HomeLet will provide instructions for you when you’re completing the form online, if you’re unsure how to do this.

Please can you also send a signed copy of your scanned or printed consent form to us for our records.

Thank you for taking time to do this.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
If that is all you signed then that is just an application which you can withdraw although that isn't very consistent with paying the deposit?
You might lose the price of the checking of the references.
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 69780
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Previous | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.