wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I have planning permission to build a single story extension

I have planning permission to build a single story extension to the front of my house but I have just received notification from my neighbour claiming that we must give them one months notice under the Party Wall Act. I have taken a look at this and the only part that is relevant would appear to be the section which refers to building "up to" the boundary line. Our plan is certainly to build close to the boundary line but what in a legal sense is meant by "up to" the boundary line, does it mean touching the boundary or within X inches etc?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.
wingrovebuyer : Hello. In this context, "up to the boundary" means building right up to the boundary line, ie right on the edge of your land, where it meets your neighbour's land. If you are not building right up to the boundary, presumably you have checked that your excavations for foundations won't go below the depths required for notice under the Act either?