75100385

Rent Query

As a tenant, I recently requested the date of payment for rent to be changed. There is nothing in my tenancy agreement about costs being incurred in the event of this change but I was informed that it would cost me £207.90 for the difference of 11 days which means in effect I would be paying £700+ for this month, whereas I usually pay £575.00. Do my landlord's agents have the right to do this? Under what Law? and if they do have the legal right to do this, can they not take this £207.90 from my deposit of £575.00 due back to me at the end of my tenancy? What are my options?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Is the term being extended by these 11 days as well please?

Alex Watts :

Does the rent agreement say it is paid in advance?

Customer:

Hi Alex and thank you for your response. I am not sure whether the term is being extended by these 11 days. When I emailed to query the date change, all I had in a reply was "If you wish to change you will need to pay £207.90. No further explanation was provided. The agreement states: "The rent is payable in advance on the day of each month specified in this agreement save that the first oayment (or a proportionate part of it) is to be made on the signing of this agreement for the period to the day on which rent should be next paid.

Customer:

correction: ... save that the first 'payment'*

Alex Watts :

Ok - I assume then the final rent payment would be 11 days less?

Customer:

I believe so. This is the correspondence that I have just now received from them:

Customer:
"The payment would change your rent date to the 25th. The rent would then be due on the 25th of each month. When you vacate the property your last payment would be £367.05 which would cover the period from the 25th to the 13th which would be your vacating date".

I take it what you have stated is essentially what they are saying above?
Alex Watts :

Ok -rent is usually in advance.

Alex Watts :

So if you want to pay on a difference day then in effect you need to pay for those extra days in advance.

Alex Watts :

But what it should mean is that after this month you pay your usually monthly payment of £575

Alex Watts :

But then at the end of the term you would pay 11 days less

Alex Watts :

So this should be £575 less £207.90 = £367.10

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and its certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

That is fine, I appreciate your honesty. That covers it essentially. One final thing: so if I vacate, once I have paid this £367.10, provided all is well, I should get my initial deposit of £575.00 back right?

Customer:

I just want to make sure that (i) I am not being cheated by them in the process, and (ii) I will still be able to get my initial deposit back providing I am not in breach of the agreement (which I feel is unlikely).

Customer:

unlikely that I am to be in breach that is.

Alex Watts :

Yes you should get the deposit, in any event it should be protected.

Alex Watts :

What I would do is get them to confirm in writing that if you pay these 11 days now when the term comes to an end the last month is reduced by 11 days also

Alex Watts :

Make sure everything is in writing

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else today?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience