How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi I have just negotiated a sale of a property to an investor.

Resolved Question:

I have just negotiated a sale of a property to an investor. The property was selling through an agent but I was the middle man. The investor, through email, agreed to pay me a fee of 2% of the acquisition price and 2% at the back end. The back end was for me to be involved in the redevelopment if I performed on getting planning and how well I did. The email came at a crunch point where I had no alternative but to agree. The investor on the days leading to exchange managed to get the property a lot cheaper and strangely blames me for negotiating harder and has now said he does not want me involved. Is there a case for me to take it any further? In other words will the emails stand up if I do?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help y.
Alex Watts : You
Alex Watts : I assume he is refusing to pay your fee?


Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


The claim will be for much more then £10,000. A couple of things


the investor does not live in the uk


As I only have email does this matter, as I have no formal contract

Alex Watts :

No, this does not matter, you can still sue even if its before £10,000

Alex Watts :

Does this help?


and will the mails stand up in court?

Alex Watts :

Yes of course as this is a contract or evidence thereof

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Property Law Questions