75100385

My landlord, who is resident at the property has just decided

Customer Question

My landlord, who is resident at the property has just decided that he wants myself and two fellow tenants to now pay the council tax on then property, isn he able to do this?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know if you have a written agreement please?

JACUSTOMER-mhmtnxvj- :

No, that was with another tenant who recently moved out and is currently unavailable.Landlord wants to rewrite agreement in the names of three current tenants.

Alex Watts :

Do you rent a room or the whole house?

JACUSTOMER-mhmtnxvj- :

Just one room, on the third floor, the ground floor is occupied by the landlords family, the second floor by tenants of the landlords brother, the third floor by three of us, who are foreign nationals.

Alex Watts :

Thank you. At present are you on any fixed term or is it month by month?

JACUSTOMER-mhmtnxvj- :

Currently month by month as the contreact held by previous tenant was not transfered as landlord wants to change the terms

Alex Watts :

The Landlord can only change the terms with your agreement.

Alex Watts :

If you do not agree then he can end the licence you have to remain. This is because you have a month by month agreement. This gives you no real security of tenure as if you had a fixed period.

Alex Watts :

Therefore sadly it is a matter of negotiation as you are on a fixed term, if you refuse then it may be the landlord gives notice

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-mhmtnxvj- :

Thank you very much but my friends and I have decided that we will look for another property rather than deal with this person who continually changes his mind.

Alex Watts :

Ok - is there anything else I can help with today?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/