LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Our house has only one exit and entrance via a series of 14

Our house has only one exit and entrance via a series of 14 paved steps which are accessed downward from the highway. The steps and a set of safety-railings also serve our neighbours house. We understand that as our neighbours house is first to be accessed this makes our neighbours property a "servient" property i.e. they must give us free and unhindered access to and from our property.
However although we are dependent on the safety-rails in negotiating these steps our neighbour proposes removing at least a section of this set of safety rails or ballustrades.
Is this legal in England? In brief, do outdoor entrance and exit steps require a safety-rail or ballustrade?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

There is no legal requirement for a safety rail or balustrade. The steps must be safe however. Is there a dangerous drop from the side of the steps? However, in the absence of any extra rights your neighbour cannot alter jointly owned property without your permission.