Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

I have a share of a freehold for my ground floor flat (1/9th)

I have a share of a freehold for my ground floor flat (1/9th) and the majority shareholder (6/9) who runs the freehold management committee gave consent in her role as director that I could put in a rear door and steps into the garden, I have now completed the works and the director says they did not consent even though I have it in writing. The works do not contravene any planning or building regulations. Where do I stand
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I would not worry about this too much especially if you have the consent in writing.
The only action they could take is to seek an injunction against you forcing you to rectify the work which would cost tens of thousands of pounds. Further you would have an equitable defence against any such claim known as "estoppel". That is they should be estopped from changing their minds on the basis that you acted in reliance on their consent and if they changed their position it would be to your detriment.
Did you need this consent the lease? Have you done exactly the works mentioned or described in the consent?
AJ