Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

What is the best method and/or most common in the uk for copyrighting

What is the best method and/or most common in the uk for copyrighting a "work in progress" such as a game design, work of fiction or conceptual artwork?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Copyright in England is not subject to any formal registration, it subsists in the author. Therefore it is down to each person to prove they authored the works or were the creator.
I have heard of people using the following methods:
1. Putting the information onto a CD/DVD (with a date and technical info on it) and then sending it to themselves by recorded delivery - you then leave the package unopened until such time as a dispute arises;
2. When you send out copies of the work, deliberately place errors in the coding or put gaps in the coding.
3. Keep accurate records of the dates and background research and keep a diary of when key stages of the work was completed;
4. Only distribute the work to people under a confidentiality agreement.
AJ