LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I have purchaced the leasehold on a flat that I am very happy

I have purchaced the leasehold on a flat that I am very happy with however the wall between the bathroom and the toilet has been taken down to make it one room. Most of the flats are like this here, its not that strange and was openly sold this way with pictures of it like that. However on the lease plan the wall is still there. I do have a right to repair internal walls myself but it does not mention removing them as far as I can see. I have not asked Orbit directly if its ok yet but I think they are aware of it. It left a bit vague when I got it they said there would be a new lease in about 10 weeks but I have heard nothing.
My question is this: Do I have a right to keep it like this and get a new lease or should I just rebuild the wall.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello. I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

who ar Orbit? I don't quite see what this wall has to do with anything to do with the lease at all. It is no impediment to you signing a new lease.

Customer:

orbit south are a housing association

LondonlawyerJ :

OK. I don' think this alteration to the internal wall will have any adverse effect on you signing a new lease.

Customer:

should I have the right to keep the wall down though or wll I be made to rebuild it if I purchased it like this

LondonlawyerJ :

In the absence of any specific prohibition in your lease you will be able to keep it.

Customer:

great thanks a lot so unless it says I cant take them down it should be ok

LondonlawyerJ :

yes.

Customer:

thanks very much bye