LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

i have signed a rental agreement for a new apartment and given

i have signed a rental agreement for a new apartment and given notice to my current rented apartment all managed by same real estate agent, now 2 weeks before the actual move i have not received the counter signed agreement and real estate agent is avoiding me and not giving answers about when and if new apartment is secured or when it will be signed. I am concerned i will be without an apartment, what can I do?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Have you and the agent/landlord signed the new tenancy agreement?

Customer: I have signed the lease agreement and paid security deposit and advance rent for 5 weeks as per contract, landlord has not yet signed and real estate agent is communicating that the agreement will be signed week after week (delaying) and now 2 weeks before moving date i getting concerned that im exposed and do not know my legal position
LondonlawyerJ :

OK if you have signed and paid a security deposit you can reasonably treat the agreement as made. Did the agent sign on behalf of the landlord. I don't think it is necessary for there to be a signature from the landlord for the agreement to be binding.

LondonlawyerJ :

There is a start date, you have signed and paid a deposit this was with the agents present I assume and unless you hear to the contrary you can move in on your start date.