LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

As a landlord, do I have to ask for a deposit? If a friend

As a landlord, do I have to ask for a deposit? If a friend who is unemployed who has had to leave his house/flat because he didn't have any money to pay the rent ask if he could stay in a room, which I would normally charge rent, knowing my friend didn't have the money for a deposit. would it be ok to let him the room knowing he'll get his housing benefit money in which to pay the rent. and not charge the normal deposit and one month money in advance.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience, I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Whether you charge a deposit is entirely your choice. You do not have to have one although most landlords do to protect themselves from having to bear the costs of damage that might be caused by the tenant.

Customer:

Hello....

Customer:

Hello.... Thank you, ***** ***** the answer I expected I just want to hear it from an expert.....