Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have recently been granted probate on my parents estate (2

I have recently been granted probate on my parents estate (2 weeks for the documents to be released), and I wanted to know what to do next regarding the deeds of the house. It is in my late father's name, my mother passed away last November. There is no outstanding mortgage on the property and my siblings and I have an equal share to the estate including the house. Can the deeds be changed into joint names and if so how do we do this?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
The Deeds can be changed into you/your siblings names quite easily. As Executor, you would need to prepare and sign an Assent (called an "AS1"). This can be downloaded from the Land Registry website. The signed AS1 then needs to be registered at the land Registry.
Unless you are familiar with the Land Registry and its procedure, you are best to instruct a local Solicitor to do this work for you.
If the property is going to be sold sooner, rather than later, there is no need to do anything with the Deeds, as you are able and entitled to sell the Property as Executor, and in such circumstances, all the Buyers Solicitor will need to see is the Probate.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL