Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, we are moving out of a rental property on the 10th and

Hi, we are moving out of a rental property on the 10th and they have asked us to pay the rent until the new tenant moves in on the 24th, which we have no problem with as we terminated the contract early.
But they have asked us to check out and return the keys on the 15th !
Am I within my rights to say
So there are two options, One is I pay the rent until the 24th and check out on the 22nd or 23rd
Or
I pay the rent until the day I hand the keys back
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
You are basically right.
You are liable obviously. However, if you are paying for the property then you cannot be denied access to it. They can't have it both ways. Either you are paying to live there or you not. If you are paying to live there then you must be able to do so should you choose.
They may very well not be happy about it but that is something they will have to manage like the rest of us.
The only thing to consider is this. If the tenant does not move in on the 24th for any reason then you will be liable for a further period of time. It might not be in your interests therefore to take this point.