Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

I am buying a property in Scotland but it is still subject

I am buying a property in Scotland but it is still subject to crofting tenure what is the legal implications
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. A property subject to crofting tenure means that you are buying the house and other buildings on the land but not the land itself. The land will remain the property of a landowner and you will be paying rent for the occupation of the land. This is unlike a conventional purchase in Scotland where you buy the land along with the house.
It is now possible for communities to buy crofting land under fairly recent right to buy legislation.
If you wish to proceed with the purchase of a croft, make sure that the solicitor you use is experienced in crofting law but I hope that assists you in the meantime.