LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I have bought my home and a section of land which is part of

Customer Question

I have bought my home and a section of land which is part of my neighbours property as a part of the councils right to buy scheme. This was missed by both solicitors and the councils technician who prepared the plan. The council want to repurchase the "neighbours" land. I have had the land valued by a chartered surveyor at £1000 plus fees but the council are stating that they within their rights to buy the land back for £1 and that they could easily settle this by going to court as "any reasonable person could see that the land had been added". Could you please tell me which is right the surveyor or the council
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this. Can you just tell me how it came about that you bought the wrong land.

JACUSTOMER-gtb6l8wo- :

The councils technician incorrectly included it in their plans

Customer:

OK and was this the land that was described as being sold to you in the contract (eg All that land shown and marked in red etc....). Also where is the land located relative to your house and that of your neighbour?

JACUSTOMER-gtb6l8wo- :

I don't have the contract

JACUSTOMER-gtb6l8wo- :

It is at the front of the property it is their driveway

Customer:

The important thing here is to be sure that this land was in fact sold to you. You are relying on the plan. You need to know how the land was described in the contract for sale. Is it described in words? Is the plan merely illustrative or designed to define the land conveyed.