Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

I have put an offer in for a property two hours after viewing.

Customer Question

I have put an offer in for a property two hours after viewing. have had difficulties with vendors estate agenets getting back. However, my offer was noted - they had to get back to vendor. After 2 days i phoned back no yes or no to my offer. Agent v. difficult to contact. Today 4.10.14 am told that another offer has since been made. The woman I spoke to said "sorry, it's a bit unproffesional- I'll get him to phone. During 30.9.14 to today 4.10.14 I had no knowledge of anything other than my offer being given consideration. The agent at this time is still not getting back in touch with me.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
I'm afraid that this is part of the vagaries of buying and selling property in the UK.
All such property matters are "subject to contract" which means that there is no binding contractual relationship between buyer or seller (or agent for that matter) until such time as the written contracts for the sale of the property are exchanged between solicitors.
So, though you may have made an offer, the seller is free to accept or reject the offer, even if there is a higher one or even if you made yours first.
If it is the case that you are unhappy with the agent's conduct then there is not a great deal you can do. They only have a contractual relationship with the Seller. They don't have a contractual relationship with you, so this means that you cannot sue them. Frankly. they would probably not entertain a complaint with any degree of seriousness. If they are a member of one of the regulatory bodies then you can try a complaint to them.
You can attempt to contact the seller directly by seeing if you can pop round to let them know what has happened. Alternatively, you can download a copy of their registered legal title from the land registry to see if there is an address for service where you can write to them:-
http://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzQyMDM0tzQxMDLQj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQEfULou/
I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.
Kind regards,
Tom