Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We have an elderly relative who does not want the worry of

We have an elderly relative who does not want the worry of looking after the house and bills anymore. She owns 1/3rd of the house the other 2/3rds is owned by her daughter could I buy the 1/3rd she owns and continue to let her live there?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I take it that there is no Mortgage on the property?
I take it that your relative is happy to transfer the one third share to you, and this won't cause any friction with her daughter?
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Al there is no mortgage and no problems in the transfer the daughter is fine with me buying the third we are a close family

Hi again,
Thanks for your reply.
Well, there is nothing to prevent your relative transferring her one third to you. Your relative would need to instruct her Solicitor to prepare the Land Registry transfer document, transferring the one third share to you. It is easier for the document to refer to her daughter's share also, and will show that the property is to be transferred from the 2 of them to you and the daughter. You will also need to instruct your own Solicitor as the same Solicitor can not act for both your relative and yourself.
Depending on what your relative requires, a further side agreement or Lease could be drawn up confirming that you will not force a Sale without your relative's consent and that she be permitted to remain living in the property for as long as she wishes.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL