Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practicing Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

is a tenant allowed to communicate with the landlord if the

is a tenant allowed to communicate directly with the landlord if the tenant is using an estate agent? The estate agent is unwilling to give the landlord's contact details to the tenant. I am a tenant and want to communicate with the landlord directly. However the estate agent is refusing to provide me with the contact details of the landlord.

Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
Matt Jones :

Hi I willl try and help

Matt Jones :

all landlord must give their name and address to the tenant regardless of whether they are using an agent

Customer:

what about contact details such as phone number or email address of the landlord?

Matt Jones :

you should write to the agents requesting this and send by recorded delivery. if they don't reply within 21 days they are actually committing a criminal offence.

Matt Jones :

No, not a phone number or email. only an address. this is by virtue of section 48 of the landlord and tenant act 1987

Customer:

ok is it illegal for me to contact the landlord directly if i obtain his email address from another source, such as the building management?

Matt Jones :

it isn't illegal for anyone to send and email to anyone else (subject to the laws of Harassment and unsolicited sales emails)

Customer:

ok is it the same with a phone call?

Matt Jones :

however I would recommended that you write to your landlord as you will be better served f you even have to take Court proceeds against your landlord in the future

Matt Jones :

and yes same with phone call

Matt Jones :

however the people with the information may find themselves on the end of a data protection claim

Customer:

the estate agent in this case?

Matt Jones :

it rather depends on what they had previously agreed with the Landlord with regard to his data. However I am advising you in this case, rather then them

Matt Jones :

so if you are able to get hold of the information then you may use it

Matt Jones :

however if he asked you to stop then you must, but you can still notify him in writing to his home address.

Matt Jones :

I would suggest that you get hold of this in any event

Customer:

ok. is it possible to have a clause in a tenancy agreement through a letting agent that all communications between the landlord and the tenant has to be through the letting agent?

Matt Jones :

I don't see why not. However this doesn't override the Statutory duty of the Landlord under the act of parliament to give his address, and for you to be able to serve notice to quit or notice of disrepair on him directly as well as through the agents.

Customer:

i see. thanks very much

Matt Jones :

you are welcome. if you are happy please leave me positive feedback so I can be paid for my time. If you think of anything later on relating to his topic you can always revisit this question and ask again and I will come back to you

Customer:

sure thanks again.