Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We live on a shared private roadway. It is in a very bad state

Customer Question

We live on a shared private roadway. It is in a very bad state of repair. I some one falls and injures themselves on it can they sue us for damages? Five houses share the raod, would we be jointly and severally responsible?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
You are correct in so far as that any person who suffers injury would be entitled to sue any of the owners of the roadway or indeed all of them together. (They wouldn't have to sue you all- they could just sue you alone for example for the full extent of their injury).
You should therefore have in place a suitable public liability Insurance Policy.
I am not an insurance broker, but there are plenty of policies available online.
You all may, of course, wish to attend to repairing the roadway to pre-empt any possible claim and to enhance your properties.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL