Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi my neighbours are insisting on trimming back my hedge,ivy

Customer Question

Hi my neighbours are insisting on trimming back my hedge,ivy and vine, they do not hang over their property, the vine and ivy hang over my garden area where they have access rights but I always trim it, also at the bottom of my garden where it joins another neighbours they trim this also I have asked them not to. Could this be classed as criminal damage
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
In legal theory it is.
In practice the police are not likely to be inerested I'm afraid. They will say it is a civil matter.
You could sue for criminal damage. It is a tort as well as a crime. Then you would have to quantify your loss though which would be hard to do here.
However, in legal theory, vegetation is property and they are causing damage to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is a tort ?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
A civil wrong.