UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Would I be in trouble with my mortgage lender over late payment

Would I be in trouble with my mortgage lender over late payment of ground rent? what could they do? could I argue against that?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Your mortgage provider may pay the ground rent on your behalf and add the amount to your mortgage account.

You should discuss with them why you have not paid the ground rent so that they are aware of the issue.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I had not put full information in. I do not actually owe any ground rent.

I recently received a bill for this year's ground rent and promptly paid it online the same day. However the day that I received it was almost 3 weeks after the date on the invoice and about a week after the due date. It was also postmarked almost 3 weeks after the date on the invoice.

My worry is that I'm concerned that the person that I pay ground rent to, may have regarded me as being late even though it was delayed in getting to me. And they may have written to the bank - are there rules about when they can and cannot write to the bank? ( have written to them to let them know and asked for their position but no reply as yet)

You have nothing to worry about and as long as you have paid the invoice, you are fine.
Most lenders only take action if you are taken to court by the freeholder. In your case, you have not been taken to court.
All the best