75100385

I have to make urgent repairs to the roof which is outside

Customer Question

I have to make urgent repairs to the roof which is outside the property and do not need to enter the property the problem is that it is a roof on the lower part of the property which is not part of the upper part where the tennant occupies but have to use the outside stair case do I have to inform him as he can be quite awkward
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Just to confirm it's only the outside of the property you need to go on?
JACUSTOMER-dxwjws1z- : Yes it's just the outside
Alex Watts :

Ok. Then you just need to give notice. The tenant can not stop you.

Alex Watts :

You need to give notice because you are going onto his property (yours) which he is renting

Alex Watts :

But I am sure your agreement has a clause saying you have a right to carry out works with notice.

Alex Watts :

Therefore write and say you intend to carry out the works on x date but that you do not require interior access

Alex Watts :

So yes, you really do have to inform him as the tenant has benefit of the property.

Alex Watts :

But if he refuses you could seek an injunction

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-dxwjws1z- : Sorry not food its leak
Alex Watts :

I dont understand, not food?

Alex Watts :

If its a leak you have a right to carry out repairs, but you should give notice.

JACUSTOMER-dxwjws1z- : Sorry my mistake I just need to know that being as this is now an urgent repair water leaking in the downstairs property and I only need access from the outside staircase that I can repair this
Alex Watts :

Yes you can, but you should tell your tenant.

Alex Watts :

If it is on his land.

Alex Watts :

Or what he rents

Alex Watts :

But if it is urgent you can still do it.

Alex Watts :

But it is out of politeness you are telling him

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

But he can't refuse

Alex Watts :

No doubt you have a contractual right in the tenancy agreement

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/