Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

In 1992 I bought a mid terrace, built in 1890s, and the deeds

Customer Question

In 1992 I bought a mid terrace, built in 1890s, and the deeds stipulated that I collect the yearly ground rent for 8 properties in the block. The invoice for £37 arrived every November for the first 18 years from the deceased owners agent, but I haven't received an invoice for 4 years now.
What are my responsibilities towards ground rent now that I no longer receive any invoices, and who owns the land our houses are built on?
thank you
Christine
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If you are not receiving an invoice you do not have any obligation to hunt the freeholder down and try and pay the ground rent. They will likely become statute barred from claiming any ground rent that becomes older than 6 years and is not claimed.

Alex J. :

The land the houses is on, the freehold, likely belongs to the freeholder's estate (if they passed away). You can find out who the owner is at the Land Registry

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry

Alex J. :

As you have lived their for more than 18 months, if you can get the other flat owners to agree, you may be able to force the landlord to sell you the freehold

Alex J. :

I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ