Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

I have a joint tenancy with a partner, and am happy for the

Customer Question

I have a joint tenancy with a partner, and am happy for the property if I die to pass to the other joint tenant.
However, in 2006/2007. I bought 6 over-priced properties (whose rental income covers the mortgages). One mortgage is repayable Apr 2022, & the other 5 in 2027, which I would not be able to re-pay from the re-sale values, and result in bankruptcy. Would the creditors be able to prevent the home property passing to the joint tenant?
Chris
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
What is the timescale you envisage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By timescale, do you mean how long do I expect to live? I am 77 years of age, but am very healthy with no medical problems, but I suppose there is alwys the possibility of an accident.

Chris

So it is unlikely that the issue of the repayment of the mortgages will arise prior to your death?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is unlikely.

Chris

Then there is no problem as the property will pass to your partner automatically and there is no action that anyone can take to stop that no matter what the position of the other properties.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer to the original question.

What would apply if I did die earlier, leaving a bankrupt estate? Would the property pass to my partner automatically as in the above scenario?

Chris

Yes it would