Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

How long does a landlord have to retain a tenancy agreement

How long does a landlord have to retain a tenancy agreement after the tenant has left?
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
There is no legal requirement for the landlord to retain a copy of the tenancy agreement after the tenant has left at all.
Of course, it’s generally in the best interests of the landlord to hang on to it in case there is any litigation or dispute after the tenant has left. If there is and the landlord does not have a copy then his ability to deal adequately with dispute/litigation.
However, the tenant would not have a claim against the landlord simply on the basis that the landlord no longer has a copy of the tenancy.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom