Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practicing Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

I have given my tenants notice to leave the property I rent

Customer Question

I have given my tenants notice to leave the property I rent to them but it looks as though I am going to have to apply for a possession order in order for them to leave, in the short hold tenancy agreement there is a clause worded "no pets or animals are allowed to be kept in or about the property without the prior written permission of the landlord. upon (30) days notice the landlord may revoke any consent previously given pursuant to this clause". I gave them permission verbally allowing 2 dogs but nothing was ever put in writing, can I use this clause to revoke the permission and press them into removing the dogs causing them to break the agreement if they do not remove the dogs or am I making it worse for myself
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
Matt Jones :

hi i will try and help

Matt Jones :

what type of notice have you give them?

JACUSTOMER-96ens604- :

section 21

Matt Jones :

and when does that expire?

Matt Jones :

the date on the notice I mean?

JACUSTOMER-96ens604- :

31/12/2014 I sent them the wrong notice they have been to the council to be rehoused and the council has advised them to stay put and informed me that I needed to send the right notice which I did yesterday. they are a young couple both working with no children

Matt Jones :

The section 21 notice has the adequate power to end the tenancy without the need for additional notice on different grounds. If you were to go down the "no pets"route you would have to revoke the permission, wait 30 days then issue a section 8 notice and wait a further 2 weeks and then ring proceedings. Even then it is a discretionary ground and so the court may decide not to grant possession under this notice anyway. The far more powerful notice is to stick with the section 21

JACUSTOMER-96ens604- :

ok thank you very much for your answer

Matt Jones :

that is no problem. If you wish to have a further chat to check if the second section 21 notice is valid I offer an addition service for a fee where we can chat over the phone and so you can ask any additional questions. I will send you an additional text about that. If not then please leave me positive feedback so I can be paid. this question wont close and if you can always return to ask additional questions on this subject later if you wish.

HI thanks for taking up the offer
My mobile number is ***** Please call me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will have to call you later in the day as my phone has been left at work

I will be out of range later today for a bit but if you keep trying we will speak eventually. Or let me know a definite time and i will try and be available.
Alternatively if you give me a land line number i can call you?