Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

I am a landlord. My managing agents went into liquidation

Customer Question

I am a landlord. My managing agents went into liquidation this summer. I have found new managing agents. Does the 6 month tenancy, expired on September 1st, hold for the new agents regarding the tenant? Can the new managing agents issue a new tenancy agreement? The tenant refuses to move out. The new agents have issued a section 21,but the tenant is taking no notice, saying the old tenancy agreement still holds.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. Has the old tenancy agreement has expired and S.21 notice has been served then you are entitled to the proper

Alex J. :

ty back.

Alex J. :

Is the tenant still paying rent?

JACUSTOMER-6hmsvgmq- :

Yes to both points. When the previous agency went bust I asked the tenant to pay me direct as the were in several months default of payment to me. She would only do this if I agreed to a disclaimer on section 21, which I did. This agreement expired 1st September.

JACUSTOMER-6hmsvgmq- :

I haven't asked the tenant for rent. She just sends me a cheque. Another query - should I not accept this now?

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. No its ok please feel free to accept when you are satisfied.

Alex J. :

What was the disclaimer?