LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

My deeds state that the boundary wall fencing between my neighbour

Customer Question

My deeds state that the boundary wall fencing between my neighbour's garden and mine is my responsibility. A 6ft run of feather-edge fencing on 4x4 posts was put on the boundary, nearest to the house, which is semi-detached. The remainder of the boundary was fenced with 6ft trellis off 3ft. posts and hedging was planted either side of the trellis when the house was built 18 years ago as part of a small development of 10 houses. Hedge had grown to approx. 10ft when I purchased property 1 year ago. New neighbour has now cut her side of the hedge back to the boundary leaving left big gaps in my hedge as a lot of my hedge was growing through the trellis, from her side; no option but to cut my hedging down. The exposed trellis is in very poor condition after 18 years with no maintenance. Can I use concrete posts to put up feather edge fencing to replace the trellis - this would match up with the existing 6ft of existing fence. Don't want any arguments - concrete might not be aesthetically pleasing but it will stand the test of time and as I am retired I cannot afford continual repair to wooden posts.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to answer your question.

LondonlawyerJ :

I think that as far as the law is concerned you can rebuild the fence with concrete posts, this assumes that they are situated on the boundary itself and will not go any deeper or wider than the previous fence posts and fencing. However it would be very sensible to discuss this with your neighbour as if they have a particularly strong dislike of the concrete you might well think that a more harmonious relationship with your neighbour is more important than insisting on your legal rights.