LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

my next door neighbour is now disputing the boundary line at

Customer Question

my next door neighbour is now disputing the boundary line at the front of our properties following the erection of a 4ft close boarded by my self following the line of the fence that has been there for at least 40 years. He has never mentioned it before
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello. I am a solicitor with 20 years expereince. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

Why does he say the boundary is in the wrong place?

JACUSTOMER-mxxgv009- :

Because having had a fence erected on my property of which he was aware after the event he claimed we had erected it on his land.

JACUSTOMER-mxxgv009- :

my contractor had followed the line of the original old concrete fence posts, once the fence was complete my neighbour then claimed the original old posts and wire fence were on his land and gave me 14 days therefore to move the fence. He produced a land registry plan with very vague boundaries marked with no way of telling if they were correct or indeed what they proved.This all happened yesterday.

Customer:

OK, the fence line you followed, when was it a fence? The fence your neighbour put up when was that put up and when taken down? When did you buy? What did your solicitor say about the boundaries of your property when you purchased and when did yo purchase the property? Land Registry plans are not conclusive when it comes to boundaries.

Customer:

I am busy with my children on and off this morning but will get back to this site later today.

JACUSTOMER-mxxgv009- :

The fence line followed was my original fence on the property when we purchased in 1976.

JACUSTOMER-mxxgv009- :

I do not understand your question regarding when did my neighbour put up & take down the fence, I made no reference to this in my original submission

JACUSTOMER-mxxgv009- :

As we purchased almost 40 years ago I have no recollection of the conversation regarding boundaries if indeed they were discussed in detail

JACUSTOMER-mxxgv009- :

Good luck with the children

JACUSTOMER-mxxgv009- :

reference to point one above the original fence stood until the new fence was erected by my contractor last week.

Customer:

OK you almost certainly own the land up to the fence line whatever may be shown on the land registry plan or stated on old deeds. If you had adverse possession of the land up to the fence line for 12 years prior to 2003 then you will have acquired the land through squatters rights. By adverse possession I mean you had it without permision or payment or deception for that amount of time then it is yours.

Customer:

Do you need any more information from me? if so please ask. If not I would be grateful if you would rate my answer as I will not get credited for my answers if yo do not do so.