Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

We arrived home on Friday night to find scaffolding had been

Customer Question

We arrived home on Friday night to find scaffolding had been erected over half our patio for the next door neighbour's loft extension, without our prior consent other than a casual comment months ago, over the fence. "We are thinking of getting a loft extension". This meant entering our property through a locked gate. The scaffolders then arrived this Sunday morning asking for access to erect more scaffolding. What are our rights? Are we covered by their insurance should any of our property, garden furniture, plants be damaged?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. : Hi. Thank you for your question and welcome.
Alex J. : this is trespass and they should not have erected the scaffolding on your property without your consent.
Alex J. : ideally you should have agreed a licence and licence fee for the use of your garden. They will have to pay for any damage caused.
Alex J. : you do not have to let them erect further scaffolding without a licence agreement.
Alex J. : further more you are within your rights to demand a fee as I presume you have lost the use of your garden in part?
Alex J. : I look forward to hearing from you.