Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

I am going to be letting a property I own. However I will be

I am going to be letting a property I own. However I will be liable for tax on any rent I get paid. My wife does not work can I make her the landlord and save on the tax. Do I need to transfer property to her.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am a Scottish solicitor and will help you with this.
For your wife to be the landlord she must have a legal interest in the property. This can be achieved in one of two ways:
1. You transfer ownership to her.
2. You let the property to her for no rent, or for an amount equivalent to the running costs, and she can then sub let the property.
She doesn't pay tax on the rent, only on the profits from the rent. Running costs, such as mortgage, factors fees, furniture and repairs are deductible.
Happy to discuss further.