wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Hello, this is regarding my tenancy agreement. My agreement

this is regarding my tenancy agreement. My agreement states that I must give one calendar month notice. On the 9th of October I gave notice that I wanted to move out on the 9th of November. The landlord said that I would have to pay until the 30th of November as my tenancy renews on the 1st of each month. I accepted this. However, on the 7th of November I informed the landlord that I would not move out on the 9th, but on a later date, before the 30th of November. This was because I was abroad and couldn't get back to the UK for that date. The landlord said that I can't change that date (even though I paid until the end of the month), as he already found a new tenant as of the 9th. I got back to the rented flat today only to find that the lock had been changed, and so I am now locked out. The landord has removed my belongings from the flat and stored them elsewhere in the meantime. I would be under the impression that given the landlord locked me out of the flat, I shouldn't have to pay rent as of the date the lock was changed. What would the law say?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
wingrovebuyer : Hello. The landlord is wrong. You didn't give the correct Notice, but this was sorted out and you effectively gave Notice to Quit on 30 November. You also paid rent up to that date. The landlord is not entitled to have evicted you before that date. Indeed, he is not entitled to have evicted you at all, without a court order. If you think about it, he has had two lots of rent for 9 to 30 November! I suggest you see a solicitor about this ASAP, even at your local Citizens Advice Bureau, as I believe you can reclaim the rent you paid and possibly compensation for any costs and losses you have suffered due to your unlawful eviction and the removal of your property. Best, WB