LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

if you inherit a property, do not register it, and then die.

Customer Question

if you inherit a property, do not register it, and then die. does it belong in your estate or does it continue down the line of the original will?.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a sol0icitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

I think what would happen here is that provided there was an actual transfer of ownership the property will be part of the beneficiaries estate whether that conveyance has been registered or not.

Customer:

I will double check this later and get back to you then. Can you just give me a time line regarding the events around this please?

JACUSTOMER-btf0vhxe- :

Hi, many thanks for your answer so far. the deceased left a will leaving everything to one beneficiary, however if he were to pre decease then it would pass to the next on the list. fist on the list is very old and has not as yet registered the property and my questionis as to whether the propertys ownership should follow the lines of the deceased will, or of it would continue down the line of the original list of benificiarries. if the first on the list dies.

Customer:

It would not follow down the list of other beneficiaries. It is either held on trust by the executors for the beneficiary or if the estate has been administered it is now the beneficiary's property. It would be a very good idea to get it registered ASAP to make it easier to deal with the property in the future.