LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Hi, I own the boundary fence in the back yard. My new neighbour

I own the boundary fence in the back yard. My new neighbour has very heavy looking wooden platforms leaning against it. I'm a bit worried if this may damage my fence.
Can I ask them to remove them? What is the best way to do this?
Regards,
Sue
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

Hi, I can't find the answer.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am sorry I did post an answer but it sp

LondonlawyerJ :

appears not to have arrived in your in box. I am too tired to do it tonight but will answer tomorrow morning.

LondonlawyerJ :

This answer assumes you and your neighbour are both owners and that the boundary fence is your property. The basic position is that you neighbour is allowed to use his land as he wishes. If you fend abuts the boundary then on his side he can do what he wants. But if he does something that damages your fence then you may have an action against him for compensation to fund repairs or replacement. However, in practical terms there is no remedy you can seek that would prevent him leaning wooden platforms against your fence before any damage has been done. Theoretically you could apply for an injunction but the cost would be totally prohibitive. The best approach is to talk to him and explain your concerns in a friendly neighbourly way. He may well agree, after all he probably wants a good fence along the side of his garden too

Customer: