75100385

Can you help me please , my elderly brother had to phone an

Can you help me please , my elderly brother had to phone an emergency number he found in yellow pages as water was leaking in bathroom, a man came out had a look and said it was not pipes but roof, so he waited 1 hour 45 mns for his colleague to turn up, they proceeded to work for under an hour and then ask my brother for a cheque for £750 - he was very unhappy but paid it. It seemed outrageous as the first person was there for a total of 3.5 hours but spent nearly 2 of those hours drinking tea with my brother! I phoned citezens advice who said there is a supply of goods and services law , a reasonable job for a reasonable price and they have sent details to trading standards and given me a ref number. I telephoned the people who did the job and he was furious that I had gone to trading standards but said he would send a cheque back for £ 150, this still doesnt seem right. Is it illegal for my brother to cancel cheque and re negotiate a price. I also asked for their vat number and he gave me ********* but I cant find that - can you help. This happened in England.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether the cheque can be stopped?

Customer:

Yes the bank has told my brother it can be stopped .

Customer:

Is somebody still taking this .Thank you

Customer:

Is someone still on line. Thank you

Alex Watts : Ok, get it stopped
Alex Watts : your bother is being ripped off
Alex Watts : the plumber is entiitled to a reasonable fee for reasonable work done.
Alex Watts : This is a rip off and spent mist the time drinking tea
Alex Watts : Sp he should get three other quotes for getting the same job done and pay that fee
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts : .
Customer:

Have taken your advice, stopped cheque and suddenly the bill is about £100 which is ok as roof is sorted. Many Many Thanks - your are fantastic. H