Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I share a driveway with my neighbour who is selling to a developer.

I share a driveway with my neighbour who is selling to a developer. He has applied to build 8 dwellings and change the shared part of our driveway into an access road. Can he do this?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Who owns the driveway? Does he wish you to change which section of the driveway you use?

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On my title deeds it states it is a shared driveway. Doesn't that mean we both own it?

Afraid it doesn't mean you both own it- it just means both of you have rights of way over it- normally, each neighbour would own half each, or one owner owns the whole driveway.

Do you have your Land Registry plan to show if the driveway is in your ownership?

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't, the mortgage company (Nationwide) hold my deeds. Guess you can't help then.

Hi Colin,

You can apply online for a copy of yourTitle and Plan on the Land Registry website, for a nominal fee.

If it turns out he owns the driveway, there will be little you can do.

If you own it, or a part of it, then you need to have a look at your neighbour's deeds to see what rights have been granted to him, but it very doubtful that he will be able to "change the goalposts".

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks. I have applied for a copy of title & plan as you suggested.

Thanks Colin.

Kind Regards

AL