Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a tenancy break clause question. What does the following

I have a tenancy break clause question. What does the following phrase mean in an assured short hold tenancy agreement break clause - "This notice can only expire after the first six months of the Tenancy or at any time thereafter"?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
It means that notice cannot be given before the first six months are completed.
It is a bit duplicitous actually because it is really only asserting what the law would imply anyway in an AST.
So, whenever notice is served it cannot expire before the first six months of the agreement and should not purport to do so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank's Jo.

Can I clarify the time line further:- does this mean, if my landlord is required to give me 2 months notice, she can at 4 months so I leave after 6 months or can she only give me notice after 6 months, meaning I leave after 8 months?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
No. She can give notice at any time in the first six months but it cannot expire before the six month date.
She could do at the fourth month point.